Anodizing is the process of creating a controlled oxide coating on aluminum.
A number of types of anodize processes have been developed for various end uses. The more popular types are:
- Chromic Acid Anodizing Improves corrosion protection
- Paint base for aircraft and marine parts
- Mil-A-8625, Type I, SAE-AMS-2470
- Sulfuric Acid Anodizing Cosmetic, most specified of the types
- Ability to be dyed to a wide range of colors
- Mil-A-8625, Type II, SAE-AMS-2471 (Clear), SAE-AMS-2472(Colored) xx
- Peninsula Metal Finishing, Inc. currently offers Sulfuric Acid, Type II.
- Sulfuric/Oxalic Acid Extremely hard, dense coating (Hardcoat)
- High wear resistance
- Mil-A-8625, Type III, SAE-AMS-2468 & 2469
- Other types include Boric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, and anodizing solutions for architectural products.
- ASTM B 580
- SAE-AMS-2471 (Clear)
- SAE-AMS-2472 (Colored)